OK, so not a bug, I wasn't sure.

GetInt32() works.

It seems that the bug turned out to actually be in the Sqlite provider I am using.  It always returns ints as longs (which was the reason I was using ints).  I ended up having to check the type of the returned object (when using GetValue()) and force it into an int.  Not that you care, but in case anyone else runs across this same issue.

Thanks for the help.

-Mont

On 11/10/05, Francisco Figueiredo Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mont Rothstein wrote:
> In creating the test app I found the problem.  I'm not sure if it is a
> bug or not.
>
> I have been using GetInt64().  In Postgres this equates to a bigint, but
> I defined my columns as integer.  The reader fails on the conversion
> from Int32 to Int64.  I hadn't hit this before because Sqlite is very
> permissive and dynamically adjusts the size of ints stored.
>
> Obviously Int32->Int64 is a non-lossy conversion so it could be done
> automatically, but I don't know what is considered correct with respect
> to ADO.NET < http://ADO.NET>.

Npgsql doesn't do any automatic conversion. We did the same SqlClient
for sql server do as specified in msdn docs.
> I can't remember why I used GetInt64() instead of GetInt32(), so I have
> to go back into my code to see if something necessitated that or not.
>
> If for some reason you would still like my test app let me know and I
> will send it.

When you changed your getint method, did it work?

If so, there is no need to send me the test app. If not, please, send me
so I can give it a try.

About your conversion, in this specific case, you just need to add an
cast: (Int64) GetInt32() and it will work.

I hope it helps.

- --
Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.