can you say narcissist. was there enough space for him to write with his ego
crowding the essay?

> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:51:45 -0800> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: npny@lists.panix.com> Subject: Re: NPNY: RE:
[LoveSexyDC] Van Hunt responds to the criticism he's received from
Prince.org>
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > I adore Van Hunt, and thought his blog was
well-written.> > Tameir> > <Moderator: I listened today didn't care for him.
think he should waste> less time worried about the people on Prince.org and
spend more them> crafting him music. I stand unimpressed at the moment. I
all
I hear is> something ripping on Marvin Gaye -Derek>> > On 1/17/08, Derek
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> >> > Isn't dude some kind of Vampire slayer or
something? Why is he worried> > about> > what people say about him on
Prince.org? I am confused? Does the guy have> > a> > first name like Bob or
Timmy? Oh wait his First name is Van? Last Name> > Hunt?> > Really? Did his
parents not like him? Maybe that was here he was> > conceived?> > in a Van?
Who cares?! :-)> >> >> >> > _____> >> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On> > Behalf Of squarepeg72> > Sent:
Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:46 PM> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> >
Subject: [LoveSexyDC] Van Hunt responds to the criticism he's received> >
from> > Prince.org> >> >> >> > from his blog:> >> > Sunday, January 13,
2008>
>> > it's none of your business what other people say about you...> >
Category: Blogging> >> > but, I have read my own press. Not all of it. Just
enough to not be> > able to turn back. it's gone to my head.> > I can
remember
once going on okayplayer-trying for the 15th time to> > find some new info
on
D'angelo's still nascent record-and "stumbled"> > across a thread about the
Prince comparisons that have been made> > about ME... some of the comments
on
there were downright destructive.> > I never even imagined that you could
mix
the words "p**ssy"> > and "musician" while stating an opinion:) Some were
supportive. Even> > fewer were constructive or managed to put forth what I
would deem> > accurate analysis. It all made me sick. Because I knew that
NOBODY> > really knew what the f*ck they were talking about. I am neither
as>
> perfect as the best that has been said about me nor as mediocre as> > the
worst that's been said.> >> > It's ironic. Just two nights ago an associate
called and asked if HE> > should go on line and address some "false
accusations" that were made> > about HIM. I told him, "hell naw. Don't even
give those fools any> > energy. That's what they live for...to dismantle
people and> > overcompensate for their personal problems...all from behind
a>
> computer screen."> >> > And, alas, here I am.> >> > Last night I was on
the>
> computer with my son. He likes to look up biographical information on> >
the
43 presidents. (And to think, at 5 years old, all I wanted to do> > was the
'robot'). After he'd his fill he asked if I would google "Van> > Hunt's
Son."
I pondered his reasoning and the potential for damage> > that I was
ignoring.
I was reluctant when I said, ". . .o. . .k..."> > I pressed enter. and right
there, at the top of the page was a> > heading, "Van Hunt is Prince's Son."
This time it was> > Prince.org. "Oh, Jesus" I whispered. I had to have it.>

> Double Click.> >> > I read the first line, "there aint sh*t about Van Hunt
that's> > genius." Or something to that effect. My son reads almost as fast
as> > i do. But, I caught him before he got to the curse words. I said "go>

play." He started to challenge the order. I put on my transformer> > face.
He
found a toy.> > I read on.> > Of course, everyone on the thread was a Prince
fan (so am i). But, to> > my surprise, this time I emerged from the comments
without any long-> > term scarring. Some people didn't know enough about me
form an> > opinion. Some people knew enough to be enthusiastically
supportive>
> and encouraging of my work. Some were, obviously, musically inclined> > on
top of being Prince fans. Some didn't give a damn.> > The debate seemed to
be
fueled by the bodyguarding of Prince's legacy> > and about the question of
whether or not I was a good musician. They> > mentioned other musicians who
would supposedly wipe the floor with me> > (even 10 year old musicians).> >>

What they don't realize is that I've played guitar with, for and> > beside
most of their heroes. And, I doubt that any of those musicians> > would say
that I couldn't hold my own. What they don't know is that> > guitar isn't
even
my first instrument. Piano is. What they don't know> > is I never set out to
make improvisational solo records. I fast> > forward through Prince's guitar
solos. not because they're not good.> > i'm just more interested in other
aspects of his work (like the> > writing and the arrangements). As a matter
of
fact I would be more> > likely to listen to Thelonious Monk play one of his
tinkly excursions> > than I would Art Tatum. Charlie Parker could MAKE you
hear modal> > scales in fourths-using major minor 11ths and do it before you
notice> > that Mccoy Tyner or Oscar Peterson didn't even have his hands on
the> > keys. but, i put my money on Johnny Hodges. slow notes by the most> >
beautiful horn tone in the business. Ask me who's the better singer,> > Sam
Cooke or Muddy Waters, and I'll say, obviously, Sam Cooke. But,> > ask me
who
I prefer to listen to and, well... Muddy is my man! And,> > if u listened to
Sly's 'there's a riot goin on' you would not walk> > away from that record
claiming that George Benson or Herbie Hancock> > need be worried about
claims
on their Godliness. But, it's MY> > favorite record.> >> > What they don't
know is that 'their man', while he is an incredible> > talent and
entertainer,
he WILLED his biggest hits into being.> > Because he HAD to be a star. (IF)
he
no longer writes great songs> > it's only because being a great songwriter
was
never his goal. Being> > relevant was/is. Prince wanted to be the best
recording> > artist/entertainer there ever was. And, he is. but, he MADE
himself> > learn how to write hit songs because he knew he had to in order
to>
> reach that plateau. he no longer has to have hit songs. now, his> > songs
only serve as a means to an end - vehicles for what he loves to> > do -
PLAY!
he still practices scales like a 20 year old music> > student. and, he's 50!
they don't even understand HIM! and yet, they> > hang around a site
dedicated
to him trying to break down who I am?!.> > What they don't know is that Neil
Young, Bob Dylan, Duke> > Ellington...THOSE are natural-born, great
songwriters. They wrote> > hundreds of them- consistently. Nary a dud in
their
entire career.> > What they don't know is that Michelangelo was an artist.
Marlon> > Brando was an artiste (emphasis on the 'iste'). Each more
naturally>
> skillful than any of the people I've mentioned. Ayn Rand, Tennessee> >
Williams... craftsmen. Read 'Fountainhead' or watch 'Night of The> >
Iguana'.
the work is more fine tuned and sharp and sophisticated than> > any of the
people I've mentioned. They don't know that THESE are the> > benchmarks for
me. Not their obsolete little argument over who has> > the best album of the
last 20 years that was played on the now> > invisible and inaudible "black
radio."> >> > What they can't comprehend is the lengths I have gone to
create
what> > is my highest ideal...for their world to sneer at...and that it is>

quietly reaching critical immunity because of the dues that i have> > paid.>
>> > So, kiss my a** while you decide if i'm worth your respect. it> >
shouldn't matter to me; and, i am glad to say that it doesn't> > anymore.
and,
i will tell my child the same thing the next time he> > asks me to google
Van
Hunt's son: it's none of your business what> > people say about you :)> >> >
details on my future coming tuesday.> > V H .> >