From: Daniel Mahrenholz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2006 2:49 AM
To: Jeff Schwentner
Cc: ns-users@ISI.EDU
Subject: Re: [ns] Simulating an embedded ad-hoc wireless protocol

Hi,

Jeff Schwentner schrieb:
> Has anyone simulated a mobile node using only send/receive functions with
> ns-2?
>
> I have an ad-hoc wireless protocol that has been implemented and fielded
> in an embedded system.  I would like to simulate it for performance
> benchmarking.  My problem is that the code is written in C and it has
> it's own custom implementation for the MAC, routing protocol, queueing,
> etc.  I have just started looking into ns-2, and from what I understand,
> it requires the MAC, routing protocol, and message queue to be in
> seperate classes (inheriting from Agent, Mac, etc.).
>
> Is it possible to use ns-2 to simulate a node at the transport layer,
> and treat the rest as a black box?  If not, do you have any
> suggestions/comments for simulating this firmware?

We are using our native protocol implementations inside ns-2. To do so
we implemented a small adaptation library called GEA. Maybe this could
be of help for you. But it would require some modifications to your code
(depending on the way the firmware is implemented). There is also a
project/extension that allows  to use the native TCP/IP stacks of
different operating systems in ns-2 (called network craddles). I do not
know  more about this but you will find a link on the Contributed Code
page in the ns-2 wiki. Maybe this could be a solution.

The last chance would be to use network emulation.

Daniel.