My understanding is that it's the first of your definitions.  You're right
that many NSPers use it to some extent, and, used sparingly, it can help
reinforce rhythm as we don't have the luxury of dynamics.  To my mind the
problem occurs either when these open gracings become habit and end up
shoved in any old place, or when they're executed so loosely that they
jarr on the ear in much the same way that crossover noises do in bad
Border piping.

I've avoided mentioning Billy Pigg so far!  He was taught in the Clough
tradition but chose to incorporate some Highland gracing - sometimes as a
means of imitating GHB, but more often to punch the rhythm along.
Sometimes it feels too much, but often it gives a sense of adrenalin and
testosterone (even on our girlie pipes - I feel another thread coming
on!).  This is probably to do with the speed at which the gracings are
executed, and which fingers are used. A quick F# cut sounds a lot more
clean than the flaccid effect of using the D finger.

 Chris