I had some of the same feelings myself. It definitely wasn't in the
mould of the traditional music for the pipes, and while I do like to see
composers and players branching out into other types of music for
instruments from time to time, in a lot of cases unless one does stick
close to the traditional style, one doesn't get the most out of the
instrument (this is something I've also observed on the recorder,
although modern recorder music is something quite evil which relies on
techniques fit to drive you mad).

But as you say, Kathryn played it well. There were some bits in there
which I definitely wouldn't have wanted to attempt on any instrument!