From: Matt Seattle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 21 July 2008 10:32
To: Gibbons, John
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Re: [NSP] Re: Rusty Gulley

Good examples, John. Everything you mention here I would consider as
syncopation rather than change of metre, or in the case of Risty
Gulley, alternating metre. Maybe this is a too-subtle distinction, but
it's one that I experience. I use syncopation a lot in my own playing,
and for me it works precisely because the underlying 'straight' rhythm
is there as a context for the sophisticated syncopations snaking
sinuously out of my chanter.

AFAIK no other sources notate RG in alternating metre. Why would they?
It's simply wrong. Not to put too fine a point on it, Vickers was
'sort-of' musically literate - he knew what he meant, but didn't write
it 'correctly'. When *played in G*, does Jack Lattin have one sharp,
as everyone else plays it, or three sharps, as Vickers writes?
Numerous other examples can be cited.

One thing I learnt in the 21-year gap between my editions of Vickers
was context. There is a huge contextual literature around many of
these tunes; when the only person saying something different from
*everyone else* is not known for his accuracy he is not necessarily
the genius who is the only one to discern the truth, even if some of
us find his quirks appealing.