Earliest example of anyone going over the top re plaid I can think of was Sir
Walter Scott who wore trousers of the stuff woven in the Border mills probably
at Linlithgow. A bit like the gadgee who comes to the Morpeth Gathering.

I think that anyone commenting on 'Choyting' should be a player of the open
ended chanter of any tradition where they will be familiar with the necessity
of 'cutting' to separate notes of the same pitch. It is not an option fro the
NSP player who should use 'tipping' to acheive the same result unless you use
the D# key to acheive a rapid succession of notes as in a triplet. The only
example of deliberate choyting I know is to be found in the Peacock Collection
in the tune Lochail's March where the small pipes are meant to imitate the
Highland pipe.

The use of gracing is a separate issue where economy and good musical taste
comes ito it and to be aware that gracing for the NSP is not the same as for
the fiddle,flute or accordeon. We know who we mean.

Colin