Hello All,

As far as I can see, 'choyte' isn't in Heslop's work on Northumbrian
Words (1892/95).  Nor does there seem to be anything that might sound
similar.

The word isn't in Griffiths 'Dictionary of North East Dialect'
(2004),
either, nor in Geeson's 'Northumberland and Durham Word Book' (1969).

I also had a look in Greenwell's 'Glossary of Terms used in the Coal
Trade of Northumberland and Durham' (1888) in case Clough had adopted
mining term, but it isn't there, either.

The nearest I've come to anything sounding even similar is 'shoite'
(also 'shoitte', 'shoyte', 'shote', etc), an archaic form of
'shoat'.
Shoat is, I think, from the West Flemish and means a young pig under
year old.  It was in use in Durham in 1413, and appeared as late as
the
middle of the C19th.  (This all comes from the OED.)  The word seems
be only ever used as a noun, and I find no recorded use of it as a
verb.

Apart from any implications about the noise a young pig might make, I
don't think it helps!

Richard

How safe is your email? - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/securemail