I think that's what I was trying to express and the classical/jazz example is how I think of it. I am very much in favour of a rigid set of competition rules (he/she who choytes loses) but any musical instrument is open to the interpretation of the individual player. True, they should first be able to play "correctly" and, once they can, be free to experiment. Again, someone suggested a car with the doors that drop off like the clowns have. Clowns have to be very skilled gymnasts to do those falls without hurting themselves and, only when they have become skilled in the art can go on to clowning. Alas, we do have some players (hangs head in shame) who haven't reached that standard and so choyte away because it sounds nice for that particular tune or because they haven't the skill to play with closed fingering (a good choyte can hide a multitude of fumbles and mistakes).
maybe we should  have a society red nose for such players :)
Can I put my name down now.............
Colin Hill

To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:29 PM
Subject: [NSP] Re: More choyting!

What about the Three Tenors doing doing all that warbling at the end of O Sole Mio. It was done in fun and because they could do it and it went down a storm. Why can't we do the same thing on our pipes if we want to for fun and mischief to get laughter and response from our listeners?which is probably the main thing we are trying to do in playing in public (you could do it in a forest as well even if no one is listening). Something like jazz compared to classical playing.

Cromwell would have been proud of this strict puritanical rule of no more than one finger off at a time that Clough is supposed to have advocated.

Colin