As requested by VE, see attached.
   thanks,
   John
   ----- Forwarded by John Dally/Trade/hmco on 11/14/2008 01:21 PM -----

   11/14/2008 01:18 PM

   On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Victor Eskenazi
   and the rest of the people will hear richer tones and may wonder why.
   Have Fun!
   Victor
   ---------- Forwarded message ----------
   From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM
   Subject: [NSP] An ear for drone music
   To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    I've observed that pipers (NSP, BP, GHP, whatever) who come from a
    classical background have a "blind spot" in their hearing when it
   comes
    to drone music.  I don't know if my observation is correct, and
    recognize its potential for appearing inflammatory or prejudicial.  I
    certainly don't mean offense.  I do think that growing up playing a
    drone instrument does allow the piper to hear certain subtleties that
    someone who grew up with a tempered scale and classical or even Rock
    and Roll chordal progressions might not be able to hear.  People with
    years of music theory and academic expertise in music have tried to
    convince me that such and such doesn't work, or that my pipes are "out
    of tune".  I spent a lot of time and energy trying to correct the
    problem, because we all know musicians with lots of schooling and
    degrees know more than I do, a mere piper.  But my gut and my ear tell
    me, they just don't hear the harmonics or the matching of the "out of
    tune" notes with the drones.  It could be that I simply like the play
    between the wah-wah and the perfectly synched that is part and parcel
    of drone music, and they don't.
    What are your considered thoughts on the matter, please, my esteemed
    colleagues?
    John --