>Hooray. At last, something I can agree with publicly. I'm trying to
>call it detached fingering (or tenuto for the technically minded),
>rather than staccato, but that's a minor detail.

Right!!!!!!!!! And remember "staccato" does not mean "short". It means
"separated". "Detached/detaché" on the violin just means separate bows (with no
gap in the sound).

And of course I meant "off-the-string s p i c c a t o". So many conductors have
the habit of saying "staccato" when spicc is really what they want that it's
catching. And they also have a tendency to say "legato" when they mean "broad
detached" (legato means slurring more than one note in a single bow stroke).

chirs