     From: julia....@nspipes.co.uk <julia....@nspipes.co.uk>
     Subject: [NSP] Re: Style
     To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu, "Anthony Robb" <anth...@robbpipes.com>
     Date: Tuesday, 14 April, 2009, 1:38 PM

   On 14 Apr 2009, Anthony Robb wrote:
   >    What, pray, is choyting??
   Tom Clough writing to Will Cocks in early 1920s:
   "When quite a youngster an old piper of last century and a splendid
   performer (Thomas Todd?) gave me very simple and very grand advice:
   "If you want to be a good piper, listen to a linnet, and make your
   chanter as clear and as distinct. A good linnet never choytes, and
   neither should a good piper". To choyte a note means to attempt to
   grace a note after the manner of a Highland piper. Gracing notes is a
   fine art and only acquired by long and careful practice. "
   The supposition that it is Thomas Todd of whom he is speaking is mine
   - it appears in italic in the Clough book, from which this extract is
   taken.
   Hope this helps
   Julia