From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
christopher.bi...@ec.europa.eu
Sent: 27 May 2009 11:55
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: smallpipes

Dear all,

Very interesting, and thanks for the link.

A choyte at 00.02 and again at 00.09, a slurred, or near as dammit, low f#
grace note at 00.07 (and similar things near the beginning of the Keel Row -
e.g. the very first two notes and the F# to G at 01:37).

JA's accompaniment to BI is downright bizarre but I rather like it. some
obvious open fingering? Or am I more cloth-eared than I thought? and what
tuning system is he using? All very traditional - honest! ;-) Shame about BI's
vocals.

Some nice spiky crisp playing from KT (with the odd tasteful choyte to liven
things up, not to mention the impeccable intonation - she's the most in-tune
piper I've ever heard, and is excellently matched in both this respect and
stylistically by Andy May on duets on her "Back to the Hills" album).

Richard Butler being (to my cloth ears) rather naughtier (in Rothbury Hills)
than KT has ever been guilty of where lazy gracing is concerned. I still like
the noise he makes tho and it's a nice flashy BC's Fancy (idem on KT's latest
album).

What is the tradition?

It depends which one. A few hundred years back the tradition would been have
what prevented us from developing closed-end chanters and keys like that
upstart Peacock ;-)

(running for cover!!!)

chirs