From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
christopher.bi...@ec.europa.eu
Sent: 28 May 2009 09:26
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: smallpipes

   >popularised by the media. As is KT.

   Maybe, but not in my case. I haven't lived in Britain for decade and
   she has not to my knowledge ever once been mentioned in the local media
   where I live (and I can't be bothered reading newspapers). I just got
   to know her through her CDs (after I had taken up nsp - I'd never heard
   of her before) and was blown away by the sheer musicality of her
   playing, quite apart from her stunning technique. OK, she chooses to
   throw in more gracenotes and slides than is to some people's taste, but
   taste is a matter of, er, taste. (isn't it?)

   I think it was John Liestman's book among other things that led me to
   believe than lots of gracenotes was a Good Thing. I think he writes
   something to the effect that an accomplished player will throw in all
   sorts of ornamentation that the beginner might miss. I don't have the
   book at hand.

   KT has mastered  the tradition, internalised it, and built on it. She
   is a creator rather than a curator.

   But she seems to have committed the unforgivable crime of being too
   successful.

   These are my personal views. I also think Bach, Berg and the Beatles
   are pretty good.

   De gustibus etc.
   chirs