There should be no problem of sticking drone slides if the proper degree of tolerance is observed and the wrappings are at least three threads deep.
Colin R

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian & Carol Bartlett (home account) <i...@ihug.co.nz>
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Sent: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 21:50
Subject: [NSP] Re: ivory pipe tone

I have a set of Brian Gumm pipes made from permali. They have a good tone and require little maintenance beyond a quick oiling of the pads and 'dedusting' of the chanter & drones. The material is robust and basically non absorbent as far as moisture goes. It does expand when heated so expect jammed joints and sliding parts [on the pipes!!! };o) ] as well as dislodged reeds when left in the sun or near a heat source.

From the look of the workmanship on my pipes the material can be machined to very fine tolerances.

Asethetically the material has the appearance of nicely grained wood and not in that 'faux walnut dasboard' look seen on many cars.

Cheers

Ian Bartlett
Auckland

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Lawther" <irlawt...@comcast.net>
] Re: ivory pipe tone

Would Permali ( http://www.permalideho.co.uk/permali.html ) > fall
into this category? This is the material my border pipes > are made from, and I believe the maker, Brian Gumm, pioneered > the use of it for pipes, though some others experimented after > him.