On 2/07/2010 1:09 PM, Francis Wood wrote:
A Youtube item in two parts in memory of Mike MacDougall, Cape Breton fiddler
and composer of Memories of Father Angus MacDonell, that very fine tune which
is well known to pipers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l6QcKtwUXo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVeJ_RkxGFg&NR=1

Rather a lot of talking whilst saying nothing from those who are remembering
this fiddler, but there's also some fine music  and it is good to see and hear
the man himself.

Francis

Thanks for posting this Francis. I hadn't seen it before.
Nice to see some attention paid to the music on this side of the pond.

The video brings back a lot of memories for me. I had the pleasure of
meeting Mike MacDougall on several occasions. The segments appear
to have come from a Canadian TV series hosted by "Ryan's Fancy," three Irish
ex-pats who came together in Newfoundland and formed a band which
had a tremendous influence on the folk scene here on the east coast.
Their guitar player, Dermot O'Reilly, passed away several years ago.
Another member of the band, Fergus O'Byrne, (in the video he's on the left around the campfire), will be stopping in at my place to do a house concert in April, along
with fellow Newfoundlander Jim Payne.

Another notable in the video is Allister MacGillivray, one of the finest songwriters
to be found anywhere.

Anyway, the musical ties between Cape Breton and the "auld country" are legendary,
and as strong as ever.

Best regards,
Jim