off the top of my head...
   velvet has some grip...
   don't want your bag to keep slipping...
   Victor

   On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 13:37, Richard York
   <[1]rich...@lizards.force9.co.uk> wrote:

     Greetings.
     I'm replacing the cover for my bag, due to replacing the leather bag
     with a longer necked one, which would otherwise poke out in an
     undignified way.
     I've only ever seen velvet used on bag covers so far. Is it just a
     fine tradition, or is there some reason why other cloths may be
     inappropriate? Has anyone out there any experience of other cloths
     and their potential drawbacks?
     If I do end up with a different cloth, do I get excommunicated, or
     burnt, or anything like that?
     Best wishes,
     Richard.