Richard
       Consider corduroy.  It gives at least as good a grip as velvet,
   doesn't wear thin patches as readily, and is a heck of a lot cheaper.
   I actually prefer it to velvet.
       Going without a cover is ok until you start to sweat.  Then it can
   feel really icky.

   Alec

   In a message dated 8/11/2010 1:39:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,