Thanks, Ian, for this link.
Really useful, especially when it leads to Jakob Nielsen's pages, where I can feel virtuous about some bits my own site's design and learn that others need changing quite seriously!
Richard.

<....>
When I have had problems like this I often go back and re-read and
angryish rant from the great Scottish singer Dick Gaughan which I came
across when I first started setting up my own site. In someways it is a
bit dated (what is Netscape......?) but the underlying argument  is
solid....finding out how to write in basic html is better than relying
on proprietary  web writing  programs that can actually  work against you.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001JulSep/att-0200/rant.htm

Ian