Hello Richard,

Scattered thoughts here:

What you may be picking up in your listening of those divisions is the profound
effect that the Italian violin school (Corelli, Geminiani et al) had on native
composers in Scotland. There were also Italian violinists employed in Edinburgh
as well as London, which is where Avison  did some study with Geminiani. No
doubt the Edinburgh influence was also felt further south.

The material in Peacock has probably responded to this to some extent. Worth
remembering too, that the specified instruments there are also violin and flute.

I think many  variation sets have an implied bass part contained in the solo
part, making a continuo part redundant.

Not quite on that 'variations' topic, the Gow publications all had bass parts
and the earliest editions indicated Harpsichord (later 'Piano-Forte') and
Violoncello.

 . . . .  none of which properly addresses your question!

Francis