THANX Julia and Colin!

   I finally had the courage (had nightmares of the wood splitting apart)
   to pull out the heat gun.

   it worked easily!  within a few minutes the joints let go ...  aahhh

   there were 3 frozen joints - 1 is the joint with the valve that
   attaches to the bag.  the other 2 were - both chanters into the adapter
   piece that fits into the main piece that fits in the bag.  (having 2
   different chanters, i could leave them in this adapter, and easily
   change the one i use)

   to answer your question... i live in the nw u.s.a. - a place known for
   it's humidity.

   for the verdigris. . .  in this country we have a clear liquid ...
   "rubbing" or isopropyl alcohol.  turns out it works to get rid of the
   green

   until now i have used, i thought successfully - cold press, extra
   virgin, olive oil.

   a while ago i remember there was some discussion of oils. . .

   i don't recall the favorites.

   which is your favorite oil?

   and Colin ... it turns out i have a favorite old (torn) silk shirt i
   couldn't throw out ...  thanx for helping me find new life for it!

   thanx, again for your help

   victor

   On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 01:09, Julia Say <[1]julia....@nspipes.co.uk>
   wrote:

   On 8 Jan 2011, Victor Eskenazi wrote:
   > my pipes have sat for too long
   > 1 - the weather here is  very damp
   Where is "here" (roughly)?
   >turns out the joints are stuck.
   > any suggestions on how to unstick them - without waiting for the
   right
   brief immersion in hot water or gently heating with a hot air gun on a
   lowish
   setting (depends on model), followed by a gentle twisting action. I'm
   assuming this
   is primarily the drone slides though the air gun would work on chanter
   stock joints
   too. Mind the chanter foot if it's plastic - the gun could melt it if
   used
   incautiously. And mind your fingers on any ferrule in the area you are
   heating.
   > 2 - any suggestions on cleaning the green off the brass?
   Methylated spirit (the purple stuff in the UK -industrial alcohol
   elsewhere?),
   applied with a cloth, followed by brass polish. And don't use olive oil
   or keep
   your set shut in a box in the future - it aggravates the verdigris
   problem at the
   least. The jury is out on whether it actually causes it.
   Good luck
   Julia