>   I put this down to my pipes being tuned with G as their
   >home key, as it
   >   were,

   This is probably it, as you probably (I hope) have your pipes tuned in
   more like just intonation than equal temperament. So your nominal B,
   for example, will be very flat as the second degree of the A minor
   scale. Playing in E minor is virtually impossible (in fact Dick Hensold
   reckons it is impossible) unless you tweak the B upwards quite a bit.

   It's doable if your bottom E is tuned flatter than an octave lower than
   the top e (the latter being more pressure-tweakable than the former).
   See Mike Nelson's website (although, strangely enough, this is not the
   reason he gives for the discrepant tuning).

   >   Or am I just approaching ever nearer to being certifiably in need
   of
   >   locking away?

   Probably. Join the club ;-)
   csirz