The American uilleann pipe maker Patsy Brown made uilleann pipes with keys on all the holes. The only picture I can find on line is rather small but is at

http://www.lemccullough.com/LEMcCullough/Music-Biography_files/PatsyBrown-filtered.jpg

A larger copy of this appears in Patrick Sky's uilleann pipe tutor and the keys can be seen to hinged from above the hole using a pillar and rod system. This other picture from the uilleann obsession website shows that the upper keys were hinged from the side (see top most chanter).
http://www.uilleannobsession.com/photos/boston_pipers/16.jpg

What the benefits, if any, of this were I do not know.

Ian

inky-adrian wrote:
Hello all,
yes, it's in the Bowes museum. A bagpipe, part Northumberland-all keyed and part Union.
Adrian