I suppose the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule applies but I can well see the point if, due to a disability, one needed something away from the norm (anyone invented an electric pump to fill the bag yet, I'm finding pumping the bellows a hard task these days - lol). Although not a "disability", I do remember my old friend the late Pete Rowley making himself a left handed set of pipes some years ago so adapting is possible. As said, most keys have been added to increase the notes available from something that uses fingers to cover holes so maybe a redesign isn't that daft a suggestion as the origins of most wind instruments are very ancient. The melodica? I class mine as keyboard rather than wind (otherwise where do we place a church organ or a harmonium - my harmonium had reeds like a concertina - oh, is that a wind instrument as well?). Slippery slope here.
Really interesting discussion though.

Colin Hill
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard York" <rich...@lizards.force9.co.uk>
To: "NSP group" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:34 AM
Subject: [NSP] Re: Has there ever been an NSP with _all_ keys (no open holes)?

And given that an instrument's design is (literally) instrumental in shaping its own repertoire, would it even be at all appropriate to do so?

Best wishes,

Richard.

On 23/03/2011 11:15, Dru Brooke-Taylor wrote:
I've a recollection that adding all the keys to woodwind instruments wasn't just about being able to add extra notes, but because some notes can fit better with a fully chromatic scale if the holes are all different sizes, including some that are too big for fingers to cover. There's an article about it here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boehm_System

Would this give us any benefits? Even if it would, it sounds as though it would require a complete redesign of the chanter as well.

Dru

Text inserted by Panda IS 2011:

This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited mail (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it: http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_2436&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Richard\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Internet%20Security%202011\AntiSpam