My thought is that there aren't enough long chanters and extended range players to form a solid judgement at the moment.

I don't think it will be either an 'annoying one-off' nor yet a 'more logical trend'. There are already quite a number of 'specials' around but anyone buying a top end set or chanter will know about this.

It occurs to me that If the key holes are in line it would be relatively trivial to rework to the other arrangement (just needs two new keys). My personal preference given the 14 keys you specify would be CB - for the reasons that Inky Adrian gave in his first missive. But it wouldn't put me off - especially if I could reset it.

FWIW and to illustrate the specials point - I saw a CBA arrangement (complete opposite to mine) on a custom Burliegh chanter this last weekend...

cheers

Rob