On 16 Jun 2011, Dave S wrote:

> This list served the purpose of introducing the beginner(shy
> fence-sitter to brash young expert) to light
> conversation/disagreement/proposition on all subjects around the
> wonderful instrument known as the NSP. It has done this well for a good
> number of years,

I think it will continue to do that. I have noticed over many years that after
any..er...altercation, the list goes very quiet for a while as we all tiptoe
away
and let things calm down. (Well OK most of us. I'm sure the early archives
would
show me doing regular foot in mouth exercises before I learnt to shut up
occasionally).

I expect the same to happen again this time.

And like Francis, I think the lists and the various forums and groups are
complementary. It's a shame that there have to be so many as it's
time-consuming to
check them all, but on balance I think that over the years they have helped a
lot
of people to a greater understanding of the piping world and introduced a lot
of
people to our instrument.

Julia