A lot of the ivory actually came from old billiard and snooker balls as well and a lot of of them (and other ivory work) came from mammoth tusks from Russia. Europeans used ivory mainly for piano keys and cutlery handles! I remember being advised to look out for them to make some bits for the pipes - mind you, that was when the recommended cane source was flower baskets from Spain :) I never did get any as my attempt to make a set went very, very wrong when the drill came out of the side of the chanter and I realised it was beyond me! I think I still have a few pieces of lignum hanging around somewhere though (drone size). Hippo teeth are a common source as well (and sperm whale teeth) and anything from a mammal tooth is "ivory".
All a bit gross really. Mammoth ivory is still legal.
I'd rather have plastic myself.

Colin Hill