On 01/07/10 12:49, B.J. Herbison wrote:
Question #116342 on NSsbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+question/116342

B.J. Herbison gave more information on the question:
Additional information: The target device is a mounted network drive,
but it is available with over 1TB free. The backup created nine files in
the target directory so it is writable.  Nothing looks unusual in the
log file, the last line talks about invoking tar.

To answer your previous questions, yes in most systems you should expect the filesize to grow as tar produces its output. In some cases, however the filesize may not be updated, e.g. over nfs on some systems. Do you have direct access to the server on which your network drive resides? There, certainly, filesize must be up to date and thus should be growing.

Other ways to monitor tar is by 'top'; you should normally see alternating activity of tar (collecting and reading files) and gzip (compressing tar's output on the fly). In addition, your network monitor should register outgoing data. Finally, using 'iotop', you should be able to monitor disk io of the tar process reading files.

Collecting this information should give more clues about where the error originates. Could you report back to us with that?

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam     |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Just a Minute While I Reinvent Myself" (Red Hot      |
|             | Chili Peppers)                                        |