@MikeR: Are you talking about sbackup or nssbackup? The (not so) simple
backup suite is ready for daily use and not in alpha or beta state,
current stable version is 0.2.1. Just have a look at
https://launchpad.net/nssbackup

To answer your questions:

> Is there any chance of plugging the holes in sbackup?
Yes, there are. I'm currently preparing the release of nssbackup 0.3 and this
will re-merge with/replace sbackup 0.10.x into a stable Simple Backup 0.11
version

> Or is there any equivalent which has passed testing and is reasonably stable?
Of course, and as I wrote above nssbackup has passed testing and is reasonably
stable. Moreover there are more...

> This is a REAL, SERIOUS lack in Ubuntu!
This is not a lack, this is community driven development.

> no verify/notify option in nssbackup, either. So where is the advantage?
1. nssbackup is more robust than sbackup 0.10 and does not fail (if you are not
hitting a bug, but this is something inevitable, there is not software that is
100% bug free).
2. nssbackup uses notifications and you'll receive a notification bubble or
popup window if something bad happens.
3. Yes, you're right. verify is an outstanding feature. See the blueprint here:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nssbackup/+spec/integrity-check

Finally, I want to excuse any trouble you had with using sbackup 0.10.
Please try nssbackup and the new version of sbackup if available.

HTH,
Jean-Peer

@bug reporters: Please do not post more opinions or thoughts on this bug!

--
Sbackup should report when a backup fails
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/106155