On 12/08/10 01:19, Jean-Peer Lorenz wrote:
> There are some points I want to discuss:
>
> a possible solution would be the implementation of a system daemon that
> runs permanentely/regularly (e.g. every 15 min) in the background and
> checks for outstanding backups. Is this desired? What period of time is
> sufficient for checking for backup jobs?
>
> Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

I think this may depend strongly on the use case. I'll describe my
sitiation to get this started:

I want daily backups for my laptop, which go to a server and thus depend
on network connectivity. I hacked a script that runs hourly through
cron, and if no valid backup exists for 'today' it initiates a new backup.

It's made for sbackup (sorry), and relies on the presence of logfiles
(that I hacked into sbackup) to check for succesful completion of a
backup. It actually checks for an error line ('^E: ' regexp match) in
the logfile, so in case a backup was still running (and no error was
reported) no (new) backup is started. I can make it available to you as
template for further development if you like.

This works for me, because I'm usually online for hours on end in the
daytime (at work).

What you probably do not want (and in my case due to firewall
restrictions happens to be technically impossible), is that a backup
starts when you're online on a mobile wireless network. In that case
either the network bandwith would be too limited, and/or you don't want
to pay to send your 10's or 100's of Mbs backup data over a costly
wireless connection. ;-)

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam     |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Got Coffee, Got Donuts, Got Wasted" (F. Black)       |

[Feature request] Separate backup frequency from crontab frequency
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/601579
You received this bug notification because you are a member of NSsbackup
team, which is subscribed to NSsbackup.