Question #215376 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/215376

Jean-Peer Lorenz proposed the following answer:
Hello Rafael,

thank you for using sbackup. As Anton said, this is a 'drawback' of tar.
The reason is that tar reads the whole archive when restoring files and
this can take a long time on large archives :-(

Some time ago, I've started to work on this issue (or general
performance issues) in branch 'tar-backend-improvements'. Unfortunately,
I was short on time lately but I'm trying hard the become more active
again. In short, the solution implemented in a *very* early and
experimental stage is to split archives in order to ease use on FAT
partitions and also to speed up archive creation and, in particular,
restore.

If you're interested in helping I'd be glad to share ideas etc.
regarding this latest developments to enable you to review, hack etc.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Take care,
Jean-Peer

Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.