Question #216144 on sbackup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/216144

Roger Norton gave more information on the question:
I had deleted the previous backups before carrying out the new full
backup.  I think the increase was due to the list of folders included
in the backup being changed - presumably accidentally by me - as the
larger backup included the default folders, whereas my previous
setting only included the home folder.  Oddly enough, none of the
other settings (backup frequency, destination etc.) were reset to
default at the same time.

Is it customary to have two copies of each of the Simple Backup-
Configuration and Simple Backup- Restoration on the dash?  This
configuration was set automatically when the dash was first installed
with the relevant ubuntu update.

--
Roger Norton

Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for sbackup.