According to Dictionary.com, the idiom "broken record" is used about someone
or something annoying, so in the context you used it, it is considered
perjorative.  For example if I were to say "Until Marcus lost his bet and
was forbidden from moaning about Mick for the rest of his life, he used to
sound like a broken record," it would be an insult.  However, I'm not saying
it, so no harm done.