Wednesday, August 27, 2003 Tim 't Hart wrote:

> I first started to use e-Omega and ConTeXt with the fpTeX
> distribution, which had e-Omega 1.15 installed. Later I
> switched to W32TeX (a Japanese distribution) which had
> version 1.23. I just saw that a few days ago, the maintainer
> of W32TeX stopped including version 1.23 and he is now using
> 1.15--2.1-RC1. Is that the newest version?

Yes, that's the most recent version. It addresses the bug that
causes the previous version to bomb out each time an overfull
or underfull box was met.

> I'll give that version a try. I have good hopes for this
> version since I've heard you removed some bugs from it. I'm
> sure that everything will go fine now. Please give me some
> time to dig up my old e-Omega code from a dark corner of my
> HDD and I'll let you know how everything worked out!

Take your time. I really hope the latest release helps you. I'm
also pleased to know that there are other, less widespread,
distributions which include the program :)

> By the way, what is the best way to use e-Omega with ConTeXt?
> Is there anything I have to keep in mind? The last time I
> used e-Omega with ConTeXt, I made the format with 'texexec
> --make --alone --tex=eomega en'. And then use 'texexec
> --tex=eomega <filename>' to make output. Is this still the
> correct way?

Yes. Of course, you can also make eomega your standard engine
(in texexec.ini) and then forget about the --tex= option :)

> Anyway, thank you for keeping Omega alive. I always thought that Omega was a
> great idea, but that the lack of a stable version ruined everything. But now
> it appears that you have made it useable.

That's precisely why I made it :) Omega will continue its
development, maintained by John and Yannis, and I will maintain
e-Omega (in the future to be renamed to Aleph) as a stable,
usable alternative for those who don't need the "latest and
greatest".

> Well, if my first tests work out great, then I'll know what I'll be doing
> this coming weekend! :-)

Keep us informed! :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta