On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:28:51 -0700 (MST), William wrote:

> But ConTeXt + m-bib produce:
> [4] Jurjen N. E. Bos, and David Chaum, (1992). Provably unforgeable
>     signatures.  In [??], pages 1-14.

If you run ConTeXt one more time, you will get:

  Jurjen N. E. Bos, and David Chaum, (1992). Provably unforgeable signatures.
  In (Brickell, 1992), pages 1-14.

The module inserts a 'default' \cite command for the referenced item.  This is
exactly the behavior I intended, even if it is not compatible with LaTeX practise.
Personally I like 'real' cross-referencing better than filling in fields in order to
minimize the number of keystrokes in the BIB file.

Unfortunately, there is an error in the code that prevents the referenced entry
from automatically appearing in the publication list.

A quick hack: replace '\completepublications' with

  \setbox0\vbox{\placepublications}
  \completepublications

This will essentially typeset the list twice, the internal \cite will be processed
in the first pass, and will therefore be known in the second pass. I have
written down this bug for a future release, implementing a clean solution
for this bug is too hard for me to allow me to write a fix right this instant.

> Is this indeed the case?  If so, is there a simple fix (e.g. some option
> that is not in the m-bib documentation)? Or is there some other
> bibliography package that handles bibtex crossrefs properly?

I don't think there is any other package. If there was, I wouldnt have written
m-bib in the first place.

A little side note: "-min-crossrefs" is not applicable since the entire database
*always* appears in the bbl file. This is a problem that is caused indirectly by
the fact that Bibtex is not a generic bibliographic manager, but instead is a
LaTeX-centric data preprocessor.  :-/

Greetings,

Taco