Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for your clear and simple response.

You wrote:

to get correct hyphenation, the accented characters have to be in the font,
as they are in Latin Modern or EC. In CM the é is a composition of an e and
the accent.

Now I understand. That makes a great deal of sense.

I followed the installation instructions at:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html

for i-Installer and that included downloading (and I assume i-Installer installing) the CM-Super fonts. Since the readme says:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/cm-super/README

"All European and Cyrillic writings are covered," would that mean that using CM-Super rather than CM would solve the problem? How do I get ConTeXt to switch to Super? Or am I missing something painfully obvious (as with composite vs. unitary symbols)?

The readme also says, "The goal was to provide full support for a wide number of fonts used in LaTeX," which makes me suspect that I'll either have to move files around or somehow convert them for use by ConTeXt, but if someone could explain exactly how (and your saying that EC seems to be difficult to support with ConTeXt makes me think this process might not be trivial) I'd appreciate it, although if necessary I can just try to figure it out from the CM-Super FAQ and readme and Installation documents. I expect it would improve my character to do so, but I'm not sure I want it improved quite that much.

It's not in the manual, but it seems that \useregime does nothing, it only
pre-loads a "regime" to make it available for an \enableregime
command. Since there is already a "\useregime[def,uni,ibm,win,il1,mac]" in
regi-ini.tex, you'll need an extra \useregime only for other regimes.

Thank you for explaining this as well, and for saving me a fruitless search in the manual.

Best,

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young ** [EMAIL PROTECTED] ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A. ***