\enableregime[utf]

in the preamble and unicode characteurs in the document are typeset
correctly. But, in the table of contents and in the index, they are
replaced with their hex codes with some garbage.

how does the \jobname.tuo file looks like? maybe you run a 7 bit tex (in which care you need to enable the 8 bit tcx extension)

The text in the tuo file looks exactly like the one in the table of contents.

A few more tests pointed out that the problem arises from the nath module. But my TeX knowledge is too limited so I can't find where it happens into the file.