Hans Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> \setlayerframed
>    [text]
>    [...]
>    [framed settings]
>    {}

I'll have to consult the documentation of \setlayerframed then - which
again i fear is somewhat terse ... what goes in the [...] box there?

> fields (and text in there) don't have a concept of a baseline
> (unfortunately), so depending on the situation, you may want to lower
> the text
>
>    \hbox{\lower2pt\hbox{\field[...]}}

heh.  the field box remains fixed to the baseline while the predecing
text is raised :)  OK, a bit more twiddling can compensate for that
again.  perhaps a wee bit to klugey for my tase.

> >(as a matter of fact, the problem with this approach is that text
> >cannot ever be centered becaue TeX need to know the dimensions at
> >typesetting time - which isn't known until the user has interacted.  is
> >there, say, JavaScript magic that could be done in order to have text
> >centered after it has been input?
>
> doesn't align=middle work?

I'll give it a shot but too optimistic I am not.  should the \field
have align=middle as part of its setup parameters?

> >I'd like to have a frame around the entire page.  Preferably, I'd like
> >to be able to place it using numerical coordinates (absolute or
> >relative, set to a layer or not).  Is this, or something close to it,
> >possible?
>
> i often use metapost for that (see metafun manual)

OK.

thanks!

--
Rolf Lindgren                                            http://www.roffe.com/