[...]

>>However, judging from the documentation on your site, some features that
>>I have read about in LaTeX - such as drop caps, complex headers, cross
>>references, several series of footnotes etc

>>(i.e. the packages "lettrine", "fancyhdr",

These two should be no problem. The dropped caps might need some fine
tuning. (Just looked in the The LaTeX Companion, lettrine has some
nice options for making the layout look 'right' - I don't think these
are in ConTeXt)

>>"varioref" and "ledmac") - don't seem to be available in ConTeXt.

I haven't seen anything like varioref in ConTeXt. For those who don't
know LaTeX: it create a reference like "See fig. 3 on the following
page" from a single command (See fig.~\vref{fig:myfig}.).

I never looked into ledmac and alike, so I have no idea if this is
available in ConTeXt.

Patrick
--
(moving soon:)