On Sunday 30 January 2005 14:47, John Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday 30 January 2005 12:24, Peter Münster wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Culleton wrote:
> > > /usr/bin/env: ruby: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > at this point I thought I had best stop stumbling around and ask for
> > > help. My base system is Slackware LInux 10.0.
> >
> > There should be a package named "ruby" or similar on Slackware, and that
> > has to be installed.
> > Cheers, Peter
>
> Well I installed Ruby and got to the next problem. I went back to step 1:
> setuptex .
> ...followed by
> texexec --make --alone
>
> ---
> ! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
> ! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
> ! I can't read mp.pool; bad path?
> ! I can't read pdfetex.pool; bad path?
> ----
> So now I have a path problem. The set command shows the path as:
>
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/tex/texmf-linux
>/bin:
> /opt/www/htdig/bin:/usr/lib/java/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/us
>r/lib/qt/bin:.
>
> What path items do I need, beyond :/usr/local/tex/texmf-linux/bin?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Referring to the path problem, I went through all kinds of set PATH gyrations
and modifications to /etc/profile but with no success. So finally I copied
the two necessary pool files up to /usr/local/tex and ran through the cycle
once again. That worked, but it is obviously a crude kludge and not a correct
solution.

I will at some point write a list of what I had to do to make the minimal
Linux-TeX package work and submit it to Hans as a howto and/or a todo list.
Anyhow it works currently and the infamous hyphenation problem is no more.

--
John Culleton