On Tuesday 14 June 2005 12:11 pm, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> John R. Culleton wrote:
> > I needed to decrease the spacing between paragraphs to fit
> > everything in to a newsletter with limited page count.
> >
> > \parskip 3pt          %works
> > \setupwhitespace[3pt] %doesn't
>
> Does using one of the keywords work?  For example,
>
> \setupwhitespace[small]
>
> Enjoy,
>         nikolai
Keywords help, dimensions don't.

Taco asked for a minimal example. I don't want to make it too
minimal however since there may be some unsuspected interaction
between all my code and the way it is supposed to work. With
that caveat here is my example. If one comments out \parskip and
uncomments \setupwhitespace then the spacing above the word
"August" is greater. Reverse these steps and it is smaller.
\setupoutput[pdftex]
\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\setuppagenumbering[location=footer,middle]
\setupwhitespace[3pt]
%\parskip 3pt
\setupfonthandling [hz] [min=25,max=25,step=5]
\usetypescript [serif,sans,mono] [hanging] [normal]
\usetypescriptfile[type-enc]
  \usetypescript [adobekb] [8r]
  \usetypescript [charter][8r]
\setupalign[hanging,hz]
\setuplayout[width=.8\paperwidth,location=middle,
topspace=0.3in,
header=0.24in,
height=10in
]

\setupitemize[packed,columns]
\tolerance=500
\widowpenalty=10000
\clubpenalty=10000
\usetypescript [serif,sans,mono] [hanging] [normal]
\usetypescriptfile[type-charter]
  \usetypescript [Charter][8r]
\setupalign[hanging]
  \setupbodyfont
    [MyCharter,9pt]
\starttext
\startcolumns
\section{Calendar}
\subsection{2005}
{\bf June}\crlf
11-12: AD NADAC Agility Games Trial\crlf
12: Obedience Show-n-Go

{\bf July}\crlf
10: Obedience Show-n-Go

{\bf August}\crlf
14: Annual Summer Picnic and\crlf
General Membership meeting\crlf
L. C. Burns Park Westminster
\stopcolumns

Thanks to you and to Taco both for looking into this.

Some of my InDesign-using friends say that the reason they don't
switch to Open Source like TeX or Scribus is because of support
issues. They don't understand why I laugh so hard :)

--

John Culleton