Just now, I was trying to figure out how to write a module that ConTeXt would load. Should be simple, right? I wrote a file called "t-mymodule.tex", put it in a directory next to a test file that had the line "\usemodule[mymodule]", and tried processing it.

After scratching my head over "no macros found in module mymodule", I decided to try replacing the line with "\input{t-mymodule}".

This produced the very cryptic result of a "I can't find the file 't-mymodule'. Please type another filename:" error. However, simply using "t-mymodule" as a replacement filename worked fine.

Eventually, after much consternation, I tracked the problem down to the fact that ConTeXt truncates input file names to 8 letters. Thus, my \usemodule command was looking for files called "t-mymodu" and so forth.

Given the amount of trouble that I had with figuring that out, I'd like to suggest the following enhancement: can the "no modules found in..." and "I can't find the file..." errors be adjusted so that they give the shortened file name that ConTeXt is actually looking for, rather than the long file name?

I would also tend to suggest that "no macros found in module..." is a fairly misleading error message anyway, since it seems to imply that the module file itself was found. It is particularly unclear given that it _doesn't_ show up if the module file exists but contains no macros!

- Brooks