Olivier wrote:
Quoting  "Ciro Soto" :

-- was [EMAIL PROTECTED] on Aug 26, 2005 at 05:55:06PM --

Example:
> >Charles IV \footnote[]{asdfasdf}

no,no. My problem is with the V that appears in the text, not in the footnote!

Ooops I'm sorry for this.

What about tweaking the space in the symbol definition like with
        \defineconversion[slstarred][\hskip3pt*]
instead of
        \defineconversion[starred][*]

I admit it's kind of a bad solution since you would have to switch
between slstarred and starred depending on the type of the text font.
But if you are using the footnote just for slanted text...

So let us improve the slanted Charles IV by italic correction (that Taco suggested to place to note text):

\defineconversion[starred][\starredconv]
\def\starredconv#1{\ifcase#1\or*\or**\or***\fi}
\setupfootnotes[conversion=starred]

\starttext
  Charles IV\/\footnote{Best Czech king (14th cent.)
    and the winner of best Czech person voting.}

  \it
  Charles IV\/\footnote{Best Czech king (14th cent.)
    and the winner of Best Czech person voting.}
It does not solve to place italic correction inside the \starredconv, since some material (space removing, penalty?) is inserted in between and the letter V is forgotten -- and with them also proper italic correction.

vit