Gavin Sinclair wrote:

By "isolated tex environment" I presume you mean "an environment that
only runs in that dos box".  Is that right?

Does that isolated environment clash with another TeX installation
(i.e. MiKTeX in this case)?  I'm led to believe TeX installations are
very territorial: they can't tolerate other installations on the same
computer!
the minimal distributions are really isolated, this is what setuptex.bat does;
one drawback of the regular distributions is that they assume that they are
installed as only tex distribution; the minimals are set up in such a way that
one can run many of them in parallel as well as support multiple platforms with
binaries that are out of sync with each other (hence the texmf-mswin etc
trees); actually, if we had a texmf-miktex binary tree we could run fptex and
miktex in parallel (i have to pick up that thread)