Hmm -- this is getting curioser and curioser...
I just verified on my linux partition, and I can confirm that
I don't have the problem there; it's only in OS X. (I'm having
different problems with my linux install, but that'll be
another post...). So Adam's educated guess that it must be some
 setting in a config file is more  than probably right. I'll
keep you posted about this.