On 9/28/22 15:30, Angel M Alganza via ntg-context wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 04:03:06PM +0200, Pablo Rodriguez via
> ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> I think that this PDF document will be fine with your printer.
>
> It was.  I printed it this morning without any problem.  Thank you!

Glad to read it helped, Ángel.

I had the suspicion, because font embedding seems to be changed in LMTX.

There have been minor issues in the past with this (I cannot recall
whether I experienced one or two myself).

> If compiling with --luatex option seem to have more chances to produce a
> complete product, shouldn't it be convenient for this option to be the
> default?

Well, that is probably too much to say (I mean, that "--luatex"
generates more accurate PDF documents).

What you are experiencing might be a pretty extreme case. And you are
taking for granted that the PDF interpreter from your printer is 100%
accurate (which might not be the case).

The PDF specification deals with font embedding (to the best of my
knowledge) at
https://opensource.adobe.com/dc-acrobat-sdk-docs/standards/pdfstandards/pdf/PDF32000_2008.pdf#nameddest=G8.1695688.

Unless the code to be fixed (or even adapted) can be detected and
improved, there is nothing to do here.

> I would expect 'context file.tex' to work "out of the box" and
> produce a correct and complete PDF output.  Would it be possible to have
> that changed?  Or is there maybe any other potentially undesirable side
> effect?

The main issue would be pretending to use with LuaTeX some features
available only in LuaMetaTeX.

> Also, I guess that can be configured somehow so, what would need to be
> changed to have 'context file.txt' to compile using luatex instead of
> LuaMetaTeX?

I agree with Hans that LuaMetaTeX is here to stay. He may correct me,
but as far as I understand it, LuaMetaTeX is LuaTeX-2.0.

I hope it might help,

Pablo