On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 11:23:45AM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 4/11/2023 11:11 AM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > Hello Alan, my PATH is set to:
> >
> > PATH=/home/ce/context-install/bin:/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:/opt/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH;
> >  export PATH
>
> what is that first path doing there

okay. Let's remove it. The second one wouldn't hurt it I guess, right?
and it's needed.

> > Do we actually need to list all kpsea variable here ?? fine
>
> doesn't hurt .. also because they can be set badly at the os level (you
> really don't want to knwo when has be encountered in the 20th century)

:)

> > Here are some of them, which are really irrelevant by the way, but just
> > adding info
> >
> > $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFROOT
> > /opt/texlive/2023
> > $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFDIST
> > /opt/texlive/2023/texmf-dist
> > $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
> > /opt/texlive/texmf-local
> >
> > Now let's take a peek inside the TeX Live infrastructure-only,  shall
> > we? (just for additional info as TeX Live is ocnsidered one of the
> > many scripts out there, right?  One is interested in the standalone in
> > the end)
> >
> > LICENSE.CTAN       bin         install-tl.log       texmf-config
> > texmfcnf.lua
> > LICENSE.TL         doc.html    readme-html.dir      texmf-dist    tlpkg
> > README             index.html  readme-txt.dir       texmf-var
> > README.usergroups  install-tl  release-texlive.txt  texmf.cnf
>
> that si texlive, not standalone
>
> > that texmfcnf.lua only holds
> >
> > return {
> >    content = {
> >      variables = {
> >      },
> >    },
> > }
> >
> > which is useless
>
> and harmless (somethign old texlive)
>
> > so, no bueno. Not when the aim is to install a fully functional context
> > standalone
> >
> > Now let's take a peek instide and see the binaries
> >
> > afm2tfm      etex          kpsereadlink     mf        mtxrun.lua  texluac
> > bibtex       extractbb     kpsestat         mf-nowin  pdfetex     tlmgr
> > context      fmtutil       kpsewhich        mft       pdflatex    tlshell
> > context.lua  fmtutil-sys   latex            mkindex   pdftex      updmap
> > dvilualatex  fmtutil-user  luahbtex         mktexfmt  pktogf      updmap-sys
> > dviluatex    gftodvi       lualatex         mktexlsr  pktype
> > updmap-user
> > dvipdfm      gftopk        luametatex       mktexmf   rungs       xdvi
> > dvipdfmx     gftype        luaotfload-tool  mktexpk   simpdftex   xdvi-xaw
> > dvipdft      inimf         luatex           mktextfm  tex         xdvipdfmx
> > dvips        initex        makeindex        mptopdf   texhash
> > ebb          kpseaccess    man              mtxrun    texlua
> >
> > Do you see that context and context.lua out there, right? That's
> > only after running tlmgr and installing it, so no bueno, because in
> > the meantime there's no texmfcnf.lua around
>
> comes from the tex live base package ... harmless, just takes bytes (only
> luatex, luametatex, context, mtxrun, context.lua and mtxrun.lua matter)
>
> > Then again, remember in the current state I actually don't have
> > texmfcnf.lua for the simple reason that first-setup.sh never provided
> > it, correct?
>
> aditya pointer that out (and it's one of the files that one doesn't want to
> be overwritten anyway)

For clarification, Do you mean the file that consists of

-- the distributed file (.../texlive/YYYY/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua).
-- And include *only* your changed values, not a copy of the whole thing!

return {
  content = {
    variables = {
    },
  },
}

and belongs to TeX Live?

> > Here we go! Back to point A where we were at before
> as alan pointed out: just install with the lmtx installer in a path separate
> from tex live, set the path and you're done; don't try to mix texlive with a
> adapted of standalone, texlive has its own context package and updates etc;
> keep them separated

alright. That's fine. That's what I thought.

So copy over the mtxrun binary on texmf-linux-64/bin to context and call it a
day?

> Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

"We invented a new protocol and called it Kermit, after Kermit the Frog,
star of "The Muppet Show." [3]

[3]  Why?  Mostly because there was a Muppets calendar on the wall when we
were trying to think of a name, and Kermit is a pleasant, unassuming sort of
character.  But since we weren't sure whether it was OK to name our protocol
after this popular television and movie star, we pretended that KERMIT was an
acronym; unfortunately, we could never find a good set of words to go with the
letters, as readers of some of our early source code can attest.  Later, while
looking through a name book for his forthcoming baby, Bill Catchings noticed
that "Kermit" was a Celtic word for "free", which is what all Kermit programs
should be, and words to this effect replaced the strained acronyms in our
source code (Bill's baby turned out to be a girl, so he had to name her Becky
instead).  When BYTE Magazine was preparing our 1984 Kermit article for
publication, they suggested we contact Henson Associates Inc. for permission
to say that we did indeed name the protocol after Kermit the Frog.  Permission
was kindly granted, and now the real story can be told.  I resisted the
temptation, however, to call the present work "Kermit the Book."
                -- Frank da Cruz, "Kermit - A File Transfer Protocol"