Am 28.07.23 um 17:04 schrieb Keith McKay:
I played around with the setups for the align:pass:test4 code below, as Hans suggested, and it was changing the \tolerance value which made the difference. Increasing the \tolerance value to 1000 eliminated all overfull hboxes but still left 79 underfull hboxes. I continued to increase the \tolerance value up to 6600 and was left with two overfull hboxes. One with a badness of 6641 (warAndPeace1.png) and one with a badness of 1097 (warAndPeace2.png). Above the \tolerance of 6600 only warAndPeace2.png was left with a badness of 1097. Both of these underfull hboxes were at the beginning of a paragraph - "To his Honor" in the first png and "Well, you see," in the second png. I not sure a reader would spot the second png badness but the first is noticeable to my eyes.

Hi Keith,
since both cases are caused by names with accents, did you try to add hyphenation exceptions for those? Such cases are probably not covered by English hyphentation rules.

Hraban