On 11/4/05, Taco Hoekwater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> Tobias Wolf wrote:
> >
> > Well, thanks for the offer to have a look!
> > cont-sys.tex doesn't yet exist. It is set to defaults.
> > My system, as I mentioned, is teTex 3 from Debian unstable, which has
> > a weird new map system that is working through .cfg files in
> > /etc/texmf/updmap.d . I kept it there, so it mounts lm.map itself (is
> > it used anyway in ConText?).
>
> ConTeXt comes with its own map files, and that is what has your
> system confused: it is using teTeX's map files (for dvips) still,
> instead of the ones from the context distribution (for pdftex).

I fear it was even more complicated. Also some strangeness in the map
files which i discovered myself in the meantime.
I ripped all the context folders from my system and saw that there
were even map files in /etc

$locate -r /context$
/etc/texmf/map/dvips/context
/etc/texmf/map/pdftex/context
/etc/texmf/context
/usr/share/doc/texmf/context
/usr/share/doc/texmf/polish/context
/usr/share/texmf/tex/context
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/context
/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/context
/usr/share/texmf/context
/usr/share/texmf/metapost/context
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/afm/hoekwater/context
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/context
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/hoekwater/context
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/hoekwater/context
/usr/share/texmf/scripts/context
/usr/share/texmf/bibtex/bst/context

I grepped for ec-lmt-12 in the map files and it wasn't there. But
these were identical (i.e. the second contained references to cork.
(why??))

$ diff cork-public-lm.map ec-public-lm.map
$

So I just did $rm -rf `locate -r /context$` and inflated the
cont-tmf.zip back into the tree. Maybe it would have been better to
use my home dir texmf for that but there were a .texmf, a texmf and a
.texmf-var already and I didn't want to hunt for some stale files
first.

> > I followed the instructions on the Wiki, but I was fairly confused
> > because the generic instructions and the Debian instructions being
> > interspersed didn't make clear what really pertains to Debian. For
> > instance, the paths are different, and have to be, right?
>
> I think so, but I don't use Debian so am not sure. To be honest,
> this kind of mess was the reason why my contribution to that page
> begins with *forcing* the removal of the distribution-supplied
> teTeX. Linux packagers always seem to believe they know everything
> better than the original author/developer, and they generally mess
> up the author's documentation while at it. :-(

It's a bad combination and makes the situation even more complicated
and increasingly arcane to setup and debug. All these texmfs, maps,
tfms and whatnot. Insane. Plus ConText's output only makes sense to
the developers.
Latin modern is up and running, though. Phew.
My initial intention to compile the PDFTex docs still is a no-go. It
is asking for  the ec-urw-palatino.map which doesn't exist :(

*getting out the typewriter*

regards, Tobias