I have another piece of information on my previous posting.
When I take the mpgraph mp-input for metapost produced by the ConTeXt run I see:

(1) running "system(mpost -progname=mpost -mem=metafun standalone2- mpgraph)...executed." as the log shows gives the wrong metafont output. I also ran mpost with those parameters standalone on that mp- file and got the same bad result.

(2) running texexec --mptex on the file gives the correct result.

Would this help locating the problem?
My mpost is according to mpout.log "This is MetaPost, Version 0.901 (Web2C 7.5.3) (mem=mpost 2005.11.12)".

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer